1/22/17

Time Strategies

Managing time and scheduling is something at which I am not very good. I procrastinate and get distracted easily. Usually I feel anxious about a project until I start working on it. I think the tasks are too daunting and time consuming to get started right away. I always tell myself I'll have time for it later. Once I actually start doing whatever I have been putting off, I usually feel better about the project. 
This semester I made a complete schedule for all of my class time and work shifts. I am working on also adding due dates for important assignments and other events. This semester will probably be my busiest yet, so I am trying to stay ahead of the game. Luckily, I work at various computer labs across campus. I scheduled my shifts for later at night so I can get some homework done when it isn't too chaotic. I try to stay away from my house, especially my bed, as much as possible. My brain kick into relax mode the moment I enter the house, and it takes a lot of willpower to make myself get schoolwork done there. I tried to set up my school and work schedules in a way that keeps me on campus for a long time. For example, I go directly from my last class to work Monday-Thursday. This keeps me on campus and provides a means for me to get started on my homework. 
College life is distracting by nature because there is so much happening all the time. Make a list or schedule of assignments, and prioritize accordingly. Also, be kind to yourself. You won't hit every deadline every time, but that's okay! We are busy people. Don't hesitate to take a step back and reevaluate your commitments. Good luck!
Some of the ideas I presented came from the following articles: How to Beat Procrastination11 Ways Unsuccessful People Mismanage Their Time.

Sometimes this is the best to-do list. This is my mental to-do list every day. Image source: flickr.

No comments:

Post a Comment