1/23/17

Reading Notes: Homer's Iliad Part A

The first thing I noticed when reading this story was how many different people and places were mentioned. The names and places came so fast and furious that I doubt I can remember them all. Note to self: try not to confuse the reader with so many names and places. Typically I think of Achilles as a warrior unafraid of any fight. This story presents a moment that he tries to convince the chiefs to return home because so many men are dying. This shows depth to Achilles character, and it reveals that he knows when to run and fight another day. I notice that the writer uses dialogue to reveal character traits, such as when Achilles describes how Agamemnon sits in his tent and takes the lion's share of the spoils. Through dialogue we discover Agamemnon's greed and Achilles' reason. I was surprised to read that Achilles wept aloud on the beach. His character is much more complex than I imagined. He shows rage, restrain, logic and sadness. This establishes a very relatable main character. Foreshadowing is a strong tool. Achilles' mother, Thetis, foreshadows Achilles' fate when she says his life is fated to be short and sad. I cannot help but notice the ongoing drama between Zeus and Hera plays a part in this story, just as it does in many Greek myths. The writer uses dialogue between the gods to move the plot along. I really like how the whole story weaves together different plots and scenes between different characters. The build-up to Hector leaving for battle is very descriptive and emotional. I find it very tragic that Achilles granted Patroclus permission to go into battle, and he had no idea it would lead to his death.

Bibliography: Homer's Iliad: Part A, as told by Arthur J Church, found hereFile:Hamilton Achilles Patroclus.jpg
Achilles Lamenting the Death of Patroclus, by Gavin Hamilton, found on Wikimedia.

1 comment:

  1. I am glad that you chose to read "The Iliad" this semester. I was debating between this and what I then ended up reading which was the Aesop fables. I really enjoy his fables which is why I attempted to read these stories instead of the Iliad. I actually enjoy that you have to read in between the lines of the dialogue to better understand the characters. I find it leaves more to interpretation which for me is a positive.

    ReplyDelete