1/18/17

Introduction to a Local

My name is Thorpe Mayes. I was born in Norman, Oklahoma, where I grew up with two older sisters and an older brother. I graduated from Norman North High School in 2010, and then I attended OU for two years before dropping out and working full time. I spent the better part of three years working at the Apple Store, before returning to OU in the summer of 2015. I am now studying Creative Media Production in Gaylord College. Basically, I get to shoot and edit videos all the time. I hope to graduate this coming December, but I've never been very timely. After graduation I would like to get a job that allows me to travel and make films. I certainly would like to live somewhere outside of Oklahoma, and eventually outside of the United States.
I prefer to spend my free time outdoors, whether it be camping and rock climbing, cycling or playing soccer. I enjoy traveling. I have visited eleven states and 3 foreign countries, and I plan on spending the coming summer in Ecuador. I love stories of all kinds. I couldn't possibly name all of my favorite movies. If I had to name a few, I would say The Darjeeling Limited (and all of Wes Anderson's films), Ex Machina, Fight Club, Inglorious Basterds, Interstellar, The Departed, and The Shining might top the list. Some of my current favorite musicians include Bonobo, Chance the Rapper, Jack Garratt, Flume, Sampha, Sylvan Esso, Mura Masa, and Nick Murphy. My favorite books include 1984, Animal Farm, The Sun Also Rises, and the Sherlock Holmes series. I should also mention that The Office is, perhaps, the best TV show ever.
I really love food, too. I am full of recommendations for good places to eat in Norman and OKC.
That's a little bit about me. I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone and reading their stories this semester!
I took a photo of some friends at the Wichita Mountains: 12/31/16

I took a photo of a sunset in Norman, OK: 12/12/16

7 comments:

  1. Thorpe! It's your fellow CMP major, Collin! You might recognize my name from previous classes! I don't have a clear path decided for my skills, and I hope this creative writing course will help, but I also hope I will live a fulfilling life no matter where I go.

    I've been outside the country a few times, to various parts of Europe and the Caribbean islands, but I always look forward to going home as well. Some of my favorite movies inlcude The Blues Brothers, Summer Wars, and Zootopia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thorpe, good for you for coming back after taking time off to work! That's huge because I know a lot of people who always say they'll go back and never do. I wouldn't worry too much about graduating by a certain time, everyone does things at their own time, their own way.

    You seem very adventurous! I love hiking and I would love to travel. I've never left North America. The only other country I've ever been to was Canada and I was about 5 years old so I don't remember much of it. I love being outdoors too! I love hiking, running, going to the lake and the beach, and taking my dog on walks.

    I'll have to take you up on some food recommendations sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Thorpe! Although I am not a CMP major I am still in the Gaylord college. I am a Public Relations major. I haven't really been outside the country other than Canada to be honest, but if given the chance I would I would like to go to Europe. I took the Indian Epics class last semester and I adored it. I cannot wait to get to know you better! Good luck for this class! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Thorpe! You sound like a lot of fun. I've always thought going into film would be extremely interesting, but I know I'm not creative enough for that. I love traveling, too, and I would love to have the chance to live abroad for a while (as an adult; I lived in Canada for a couple of years when I was younger). I love The Office, too. I've seen it more times than I care to admit, but yet it never gets old. I think it's cool you like rock climbing and camping. I love camping but I've never really given rock climbing a real chance, I guess I've never known anybody super into it! I played soccer growing up and it's definitely still my favorite sport.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Thorpe! Your area of study is way over my head! I think it would be a great skill to have, but videoing/editing is pretty difficult for me. I haven't heard of some of those movies, but I took a Film and Media studies course where we studied some of Wes Anderson's work. It seems like you have a great taste in movies! I may have to ask you about some food sources sometime. Hopefully you're off to a good start to the semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Thorpe, nice to meet you. I think it's awesome that you've had the opportunity to travel so much. I've only been to about a handful of states, so eleven sounds like a ton! What three countries have you visited? I plan to travel more in the future when I have the time and money, it just seems like there's so much to see and experience in the world. Good luck with the semester and I look forward to reading your posts as the class goes on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You seem like a very adventurous person! I admire that because I definitely channel my boring side more often than my adventurous side. That is awesome that you have travelled so many places. I am jealous. I hope to travel more in the future when I have a bit more money! I would have to agree with you that The Office is a great TV show, but it is tied with Friends in my book for the greatest ever.

    ReplyDelete