1/26/17

Story Planning Week 1: Gangster's Paradise

I have decided to write my stories in a script format, sort of copying Christine Elliott. I am going to write overly dramatic stories (think soap operas). I will set the stories in present day time, and I will update details, including names, occupations and setting. I want to write the plot points in a dramatic way, and I want the characters to be over-the-top exaggerations of the originals.
I really like the scene in which Achilles puts Agamemnon in his place, but doesn't kill him because he is restrained by Athena. I can see this playing out in a very dramatic fashion. They could trade insults and throw fits, and I see Athena as a divine intervention Achilles experiences, in the form of a ghost or flashback. They could be Italian-American mobsters caught up in a big turf war. Agamemnon is the Don of one city, and Priam the Don of another. They break bread, along with Menalaus, to form an alliance, but Helen and Paris get it on in the bathroom, and she decides to run away with him. By the time Menalaus realizes his wife's disappearance, she is tucked away in a safehouse with Paris and company. Menalaus tells Don Agamemnon what happened, and Agamemnon assembles a meeting with the lesser dons in his city. Along with the dons, Agamemnon extends an invitation to Achilles, the leader of a dangerous crew of hitmen. That meeting will take place in a traditional, makeshift meeting room in the back of a restaurant. Everyone has bodyguards except for Achilles, and everyone is packing heat. Achilles brings along Patroclus, his top gun and best friend. Maybe, instead of Achilles' armor being given to Patroclus and taken by Hector, it could be Achilles' favorite gun. Patroclus dies in a shootout. Maybe Achilles and Hector get into a car chase, and Hector finally pulls over so they can face each other. I feel like I have a good idea how to write this for next week.

File:Lepke Buchalter and J. Edgar Hoover NYWTS.jpg
Lepke Buchalter handcuffed to J. Edgar Hoover, photo by Al Aumuller, 1939 or 1940, found on Wikimedia.

Bibliography: Information based on Homer's Iliad, as told by Alfred J Church, found here.

4 comments:

  1. Just a quick note to say that I am glad the spirit of Christine can keep on inspiring stories this semester! And isn't this planning option cool? I am so grateful to the person who suggested that in the midterm survey last semester. And this semester, it's in place right from the start. I am really happy about that! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited to read your stories! I really enjoy reading scripts! I'm not sure I enjoy over dramatic stories, but I do find them comedic at times. I hope I am not offending you. That is not my intention. It is just when I think of over dramatic, I think of Telenovelas. Then I cannot help but smile.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the idea of making your stories very dramatic and updating them to fit current times. Achilles is my favorite in the Iliad; I think he's smart and merciful, but still quite strong. I would have never thought to relate him to a modern day gangster, but I think that's such an interesting idea and can't wait to see what you put together! I really like your interpretation of the story and could see how it can translate to the mobster idea.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think the idea of writing stories as a script is a great idea! Dramatic stories are the best because they keep me entertained to the fullest. Adding a little twist and making them modern would also be a good way to connect old readings to the present. All your ideas for the next story are great, and regardless of which you choose, I look forward to reading what you come up with. Great work!

    ReplyDelete